Today, we received an announcement from the Premier, Mark McGowan that as of next Monday, 18 May, all Western Australian school students will be required to return to school.
Some extra points from this announcement are as follows:
- Assemblies, camps and interschool activities remain prohibited.
- Parents and non-essential visitors will remain off school sites. Parents/carers and visitors will continue to drop students at the school gate unless for a pre-arranged appointment.
- Students or staff who are unwell should stay home.
- WA Health’s DETECT program will test for COVID-19 in schools.
Please click here for a resource for parents on the Updated Advice from the Chief Health Officer
There are exceptions for students who are medically vulnerable or those who have a family member with chronic health issues, who will be assessed and can continue to learn from home. This means students are either:
- at school;
- have a medical referral to learn from home;
- recorded as absent if they do not attend; or
- Students who are unwell, should stay home
Students with medical conditions
Parents and carers of students with a medical condition, or a family member/carer in their home with medical condition, should seek medical advice.
Medical referral process
- If the advice is that their child should not attend school, the parent/carer should notify the school and provide the school with medical evidence such as a medical certificate.
- Where a student/parent or carer’s pre-existing medical condition is already known to the school, no medical evidence is required.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if your child falls into the exemption category for school attendance so we can note it in our systems as an approved absence, or assist you with your child’s ongoing learning.
We will be sending a full briefing and Q&A to all parents to specifically define elements of the above changes for you. Please keep a look out for this resource in the 4.00pm parent update tomorrow 15/05.
We will continue to update you as the WA government lifts restrictions and moves into this new phase, so please continue to check the 4.00pm updates.
Please remember that all of the updates we have sent you so far are available to read via our News page on our website, accessible by clicking here
Rob Gratton and Tracy Holmes
Principals – Mandurah Baptist College